Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wikis, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr...so many tools

I learned some important points from the reading which was assigned for my media class. I learned about many social media websites that I have never heard of (12seconds.tv, Utterli). I also learned how different social neworking cites can be used to creat a quite large tool kit for personal and business use. The author Brogan suggests certain tools that would be good for busniess use. His five main tools include: a listening tool, blogging, mobile tools and social conversation, collaboration and shared documents , and instant messaging. After reading this chapter I have realized how important social networking can be to a business and how it can help a business. Using social neworking allows a business to form a two way relationship with the customer; this quick two conversation can be carried out through Twitter. All in all, businesses have a pleathera of social networking tools to choose from to more efficiently exist within the Social Age.

Wikis:
  • What is a wiki? A wiki is a collaborative tool that can be used to bring information from many sources to one destination.
  • The only wiki I have ever used in wikipedia; wikipedia has become a very effective tool for me. Wikipedia has especially been useful for me when trying to find out basic facts and information and also when starting research. All of this information came from different sources and the cite wikipedia is definitely a colllaborative tool. I believe wikis have other uses; wikis can definitely be effective within business communities when sharing basic information within a busness community.
  • If I owned a company, I would definitely look into starting a wiki for my business so my employees would have easy and fast access to information within my business.
My visit to Wikia:

  • When I visted Wikia there were many topics of discussion and collaboration including: entertainment, gaming, news, lifestyle, and Harry Potter.
  • All of these topic headers start out general and then if you pick one you get more discussions related to which ever topic you picked. All of the topics on here are relate to to subjects of high popularity (Harry Potter).
  • The wiki is organized into subjects (games, entertainment, news) and is not particularly attractive but drew me in with pictures. It is quite easy to find wikis of interest; I instantly was drawn to the music section and then from there I saw a lyricswiki. The lyric wiki is a collaboration of lyrics of popular songs and is organized in alphabetical order (quite easy). This cite makes good use of its template, tagging and it is very easy to find and use.
The highlighted areas emphasize the organization of the wiki and how easy it is to find what you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment