Thursday, May 3, 2012

Is the human race cooperative and collaborative?

Collaboration, Cooperation, and Open-sourcing

Yesterday in class, we watched a lecture on collaboration and cooperation by Rheingold; in this lecture Rheingold explains that the human race has proved to be collaborative and cooperative through using examples from history and the present. The human race was collaborative and cooperative before civilization came into being; nomads, 1000's of years ago, cooperated and collaborated to hunt bigger game forming a new type of wealth. (Rheingold) The main point that Rheingold makes is that humans use cooperate and collaborate with each other to create higher forms of wealth. Rheingold's idea explains the why human communication has evolved to and resulted in open-sourcing. Open sourcing is the collaborative work of humans to result in a better made service, product, or source of information; for example, Wikipedia and Mozilla. All in all, Wikipedia and Mozilla would have never been created with out cooperation and collaboration between humans.

What do I think about open-sourcing?


I think that open-sourcing is a great idea and has potential to create great services, products, and information sources. Open-sourcing definitely has a place within the computing world and I can see it thriving inside the realm of computing. I do not think that open-sourcing will work within companies or industries where the main goal is to make a profit; I don't think companies driven by money have the time to worry about open-sourcing.

I like my proprietary software companies (Microsoft and Apple). The only open-sourcing software I use is Mozilla and Wikepedia; I tend to not use Mozilla as much because it is always being updated. So I have not yet bought into open-sourcing and I don't know if I ever will.

No comments:

Post a Comment